Knowledge – Innovation – Professionalism
The Virginia Economic Developers Association is the voice in Virginia for shaping economic development public policy and a primary source of strong and effective education and networking for economic development professionals.
VEDA supports the maintenance and expansion of efforts by state, regional, and local governments and other organizations to foster the growth of basic employment sectors to provide job opportunities for Virginians. A pro-business climate, fostered by all levels of government, is essential to continued success in promoting economic development, growing the tax base, and enhancing the Commonwealth's economy and quality of life.
- VEDA provides input to help maintain Virginia's leadership in the field.
- VEDA encourages continuing education through state and national economic development organizations.
- VEDA promotes standards of professionalism and ethics with the economic development community.
- VEDA facilitates the exchange of information among members.
More than 525 leading economic developers are VEDA members. Being a member of VEDA helps them maintain their professional edge by:
- Keeping abreast of new economic development innovations and initiatives that affect the state and the nation
- Having an organized and effective voice on economic development issues in the Virginia legislature
- Maintaining a working partnership with government officials and organizations in Virginia
- Increasing knowledge and skills to a high level of excellence and professionalism
- Sharing interest, ideas, problems, and concerns of the profession.
VEDA Membership Categories
- Cornerstone Membership - With VEDA’s premier membership level, Cornerstone members will receive the following additional benefits to their VEDA membership:
- Spotlight in VEDALink, VEDA’s electronic newsletter with a distribution to nearly 600 members and partners.
- Free registration (non-transferrable) to VEDA’s annual Legislative Reception
- Discount of 10% on registration fees for the Spring and Fall Conferences and Summer and Winter Membership meetings.
- Receipt of event registration lists in advance of event.
- Cornerstone Member designation on name badges for VEDA events.
- Two $25 discounts for non-member registrations at Spring and Fall Conferences and Summer and Winter Membership meetings
- Other benefits to be determined based upon unique programming opportunities
- Professional Membership - A professional member of VEDA must reside in Virginia and have a professional interest in economic development. Exceptions are for employees of the Virginia Department of Economic Development and employees of Virginia-based companies residing outside of the Commonwealth. Professional members are entitled to all membership privileges including holding office and voting.
- Associate Membership - Those who reside outside of Virginia and have a professional interest in economic development may become associate members of VEDA. Authorized non-residents may vote, but are not eligible to hold office unless they are going to reside in Virginia during their tenure in office.
- Student Membership - A Student member must be an individual who is a full-time student at an accredited institution, pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree. Full-time will mean 12 semester hours for undergraduate students and 9 semester hours for graduate students. Individuals enrolled in certificate programs that do not culminate in a degree are not eligible for Student membership. Student members shall be entitled to all membership privileges except holding office.
VEDA is for:
- Technology industry professionals
- Professional services who support economic development
- Architects and engineers
- Construction companies
- Local government officials
- Economic development directors
- Small Business Development Center staff
- Workforce Development Center staff
- Utility representatives
- Higher education
Annual VEDA dues are $250. A $25 initiation fee must accompany a membership application. The fiscal year for VEDA is January 1 through December 31. Dues are payable no later than March 1. To rejoin VEDA, a $25 reinstatement fee applies.